Friday, 31 August 2007

Breathe Deeply Now... You're Turning Purple.

by Edwin Hesselthwite

We at Little Man, What Now? appreciate Fisking as much as anyone else. We don't particularly engage in it in these parts (it's a little bit... vulgar...) but it certainly makes good blog-print for our brethren. And I think no blogging practice has done more to make it clear to the mainstream media that bloggers are going to tear your legs off if you get things wrong.

However, this post over at blog favourite The Devil's Kitchen takes the process a step further than I've ever seen it used before. A 2642 word fisk to hammer home the author's deep-seated dislike of Jamie Oliver...

"It quickly became the most talked about show in town. Oliver was a revelation. The 26-year-old showed patience and perseverance far beyond his years, combined with a real understanding and empathy for the mismatched, dysfunctional youths on his team."

If we want to praise people for showing "understanding and empathy" for "mismatched, dysfunctional youths" perhaps we could praise, I don’t know, social workers or psychotherapists, who often do their work for little more than the minimum wage plus tips. Rather than a poorly educated fucktard who is deigning to interact with just 15 dysfunctional youths simply to advance his floundering career in the limelight.
Personally, I do truly understand Oliver rage (and I suspect the author is after Charlie Brooker's job). But I suggest this The Nameless One character drinks a nice cup of Earl Grey, and considers the world outside media-blogging for a day or two, maybe think about taking up squash, or chess...

6 comments:

Charles Pooter said...

I'm with The Nameless One on Oliver. There is something dark within those dead eyes. Someone once said that he has a face that reminded him of one of the more debauched of the Roman emperors. I tend to agree.

Also, he has a big tongue and pretends to be a "Cock-er-ney".

The Nameless One said...

What can I say, it was a quiet morning in the office and tearing into Jamie Oliver helped me overcome the boredom and my hangover...

Edwin Hesselthwite said...

Welcome over to LMWN Mr Nameless...

I understand the boredom, the hangover, and the Oliver rage... But 2642 words!!??!! War And Peace is shorter than your Oliver-opus.

The Nameless One said...

In fairness, quite a few of those 2642 words were from the Telegraph. But I agree, I may have got a bit carried away.

I am hopeful that the sheer length will live on in history, if only because it was (for want of a better euphemism) comprehensive.

TNO

Charles Pooter said...

the nameless one:

Be careful. Clearly Oliver has an interest in politics and with his celebrity caché, if he were interested, I'm sure he could get elected. I have no doubt that the Oliver regime would be a blood-soaked orgy of violence making Nero, Genghis Khan and Pol Pot look like amateurs... and you will be first one sent to the re-education camp. On the plus side, I'm sure the dinners in the camp will be "luverly-jubbly".

Charles Pooter said...

...and just to beat anyone else to it: I, for one, welcome our new big-tongued, mockney overlord.