Wednesday, 11 April 2007

Quote of the Day

by Charles Pooter

Physical property rights are a direct outgrowth of the natural concept of possession. Because the same physical object can be possessed by only one person at a time, and the same space can be occupied by only one person at a time, my defense of my tangible property rights follows of necessity from my occupancy of it. All I have to do to enforce my tangible property rights claims is to maintain possession against any would-be invader. If necessary, I can call on my neighbors for help. But to enforce an "intellectual property" claim, in contrast, I have to invade someone else's space to make sure he isn't using his own property in a way the state has conferred an exclusive right on me to do.
Kevin Carson

2 comments:

Kevin Carson said...

Thanks for the link, Charles.

Charles Pooter said...

Kevin,

You are more than welcome. That was one of the best blog posts I've read in a while. You've certainly helped crystalize my thinking on IP.