Monday, 9 April 2007

Fashionable Accessories for the Paranoid Obsessive Compulsive About Town

by Edwin Hesselthwite


This small, and stylish pocket accessory has been in my possession for a number of weeks. Adorned with the image of a Chinese Terracotta Warrior (the army having been buried near the Mausoleum of the First Qin Emperor) this handsome business card case is essential for the raffish gentleman.

Inside it is contained my Transport For London Oyster Card, employer identity card and a few other pieces of plastic, and it is a rare pleasure to remove such a substantial object from my pocket when I need to ride on a form of public transportation. The plastic cases that the Oyster Card are sold with are fragile and prone to disintegration, much better to carry a metal shell that you can guarantee will protect your plastic.

It is entirely secondary that my employer ID card and Oyster Card both contain an RFID chip — a relatively new technology that is increasingly replacing magnetic stripes for holding digital information. It is entirely secondary that this technology is readable with the right equipment at a distance of up to 1 metre. It is entirely secondary that this technology is currently expected to expand rapidly (read here for entirely sensible suggestions for securing this technology) until these tracking/digital information devices are going to be replacing magnetic stripes and will be used to follow all purchases (they are already used by most mail companies for their "track your delivery" systems).

It doesn't matter to me at all that these handsome bronze cases act as a a functional Faraday cage, experimentally proved to surpress the signal produced by these devices. Thereby guaranteeing my privacy and protecting my digital information from being cloned without my knowledge and consent.

I just prefer not to wake up on a sunday morning wondering how I managed to snap my credit card in half.

Stocks are currently low for our primary product, but this rakish Aluminium model is available for the bargain price of £4.85

Edwin Hesselthwite is personally endorsed by Adrian Cartwright, M.D.
-

No comments: