Tuesday, 24 October 2006

Taxi Drivers and their Mobiles

by Dom Glennie

I haven't seen it so much over in the UK, but in my experience virtually every taxi driver in the US speaks on their mobile (hands free) continuously during a journey. Most of them being immigrants do this in their native tongue so the passenger has no idea what they are talking about. It can be more than a little confusing when they switch between talking to you their passenger back to their friend on the phone.

It is perhaps discourteous of them, unlike others though I can't say it overly bothers me, but I do wonder who they are speaking to. I assume it must be other taxi drivers, nobody else surely has the time or inclination. I wonder if they set up little conference calls with a group of cabbies on any particular call. Or maybe they pair off and just speak to the same friend all day, swapping every now and again. I'm glad I'm not that bored.

No comments: