Monday, 18 September 2006

Ubuntu Linux Aint There Yet

by Charles Pooter

Warning: Computing post ahead!

I thought I'd give Ubuntu Linux a try at home. I do a lot with Windows at work and home, but I'm no stranger to UNIX or Linux. The first few weeks have been great. I've been doing all my surfing, writing, emailing, instant messaging and blogging using Ubuntu Linux on a Dell I "borrowed" from work. So far, so good. I've been enjoying the quick boot-up times and the general responsiveness and stability of Linux and have barely touched my girlfriend's Windows laptop.

Today, I tried to get my iPod working with Linux. I've run out of podcasts for the train to work. As I usually do, I visited ubuntu guide. Various messageboards informed me that the application I needed was amaroK. I followed the instructions on ubuntu guide, installing the packages I needed using the excellent apt-get command line application. Unfortunately, after installation, amaroK didn't work. I got a helpful message saying:
"There was an error setting up inter-process communications for KDE. The message returned by the system was: Could not open network socket. Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running!"
A web search informed me that amaroK is a KDE program, rather than a Gnome program. For those who don't know, these are the two main "window managers" for Linux. I followed some instructions to install core KDE elements but this didn't help. I'm sure I could fix this with some effort, but I get my fill of fiddling with computers at work, I don't need it at home. Oh well, back to Windows for now! As always, I'm open to suggestions.

2 comments:

Dave B. said...

You need to install Easy Ubuntu that installs the codecs you need to run these files. It does not come by default because they are proprietary.

Easy Ubuntu is not difficult to install.

Edward said...

try gtkpod or yamipod