Sunday, 24 April 2005

Being back, the future of the blog, and snooker.

by Dom Glennie

Back from conclave duties, not my 1st choice, bit soft for my taste, kind of got harried into it, but what's done is done.

Anyway unless my co-bloggers pick up pace this blog will from now on be concentrating mainly on snooker and analysing the lyrics of Thunder Road. Politics will take a back seat, these things tend to be cyclical, but I currently have little interest in the various political goings on, and given I am working away on May 5th and haven't registered for a postal vote, I will miss voting in a general election for the first time since I have been eligible. I'm sure UKIP will cope.

On the former subject a bit of a round up is due.

O'Sullivan has yet again threatened to quit. I'm not someone to put up with groundless whingeing lightly, and O'Sullivan has always been a big culprit in this regard. My impression is that he has bought into his own myth too much, he is a hugely successful multi millionaire, at the top of his game, with a legion of fans. If this is too much to cope with, then quit; nobody is stopping him, and he doesn't need the money. But he probably won't, just like he didn't quit on any of the last dozen occasions he threatened to. He, like a good deal of the snooker fan base, likes to see himself as the enigmatic genius whose only real opponent is himself. I am holding out hope that Williams, who seems to be playing exceptionally, will take him down a peg. Even then he will no doubt claim that he didn't care if he won or lost.

As things stand Stephen Lee seems to be swiftly advancing to a quarter final, which will easily be his finest achievement for a year or two. If I remember correctly then he was recently considering quitting, hopefully if he finishes off Ebdon, he will reverse that decision. The commentators like to say that Lee has the finest cue action in the game, which given that a) cue action is perhaps the most important skill in snooker, and b) he has won almost nothing, is a claim on par with claiming Ian Poulter has the finest ever golf swing, but they do have hours of air-time to fill. One of their favorite past times is to assign made-up-on-the-spot 'best ever' categories to the players. My favorite from today is 'Best long potter from tight under the cushion' which goes to John Higgins apparently, based, I am cynically assuming, solely on the one long pot from tight under the cushion that he had just pulled off.

What is Alan Mcmanus doing in the Quarter Finals?

No comments: