Wednesday, 9 March 2005

Aging

by Dom Corrigan

I saw an expert on biological aging speak, I think it was last year, who I remember saying, (I paraphrase a little)

"The first person to live to 250 may already have been born"

Which I was very encouraged by, planning to live to 250 myself. In the light of that, this interesting short post on Gene Expression was a bit disappointing,

While discussing aging with a colleague, she mentioned that the latest theory is that DNA damage is the proximal cause of aging, and that strategies to cure aging will be limited to future generations by this fact.

I was going to write more about this, and how dons have to exaggerate their research, to make baseless or unscientific comments and to package years of study into a soundbite, in order to keep their jobs. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the speaker, the date or the location of the talk, so the details are missing. Evidently my DNA is already hopelessly oxidised and I'll be put out to pasture as soon as I finish my PhD.

No comments: